Car Sharing with Hertz 24/7
Introducing the new Hertz 24/7 service at the Storrs campus
What is Hertz 24/7?
Hertz 24/7 is a nationwide car sharing and rental program that has had a representation on University of Connecticut's Storrs campus estimated to start on October 10th, 2011. Hertz 24/7 offers mobility for students, faculty, staff, and members of the community without ready access to a car. Members will be able to rent one of four environmentally preferable Ultra Low Emissions Vehicles (ULEV). A fully electric powered car is scheduled to come to campus along with an electric vehicle (EV) charging station. This program represents an increase in campus and community accessibility, while maintaining the University's commitment to its highly sustainable standards.
How is Hertz 24/7 different than other car rental services?
Car sharing shifts the focus from people out of their normal environment, to those in the comfort of their own areas. The scale is down from days and weeks, to hourly and daily rentals. Car sharing is a program for those who may only need a car for a few days out of the month, give or take. A program like this is at home on a university campus, because for the majority of students, all they may need is in walking distance, however access to a car on the weekends or to run errands is limited, and that's where Hertz 24/7 comes in. By providing a car for the community on a short term basis, this program opens up a large realm of accessibility at an affordable rate.
- Lot between North and Northwest Residence Halls
- Dodd Center lot
- Towers lot
- Field House lot (across from Student Union)
Features of the Program
- Free membership for American and International drivers
- Cost $8-$9/hour depending on size of vehicle
- Gas and insurance built in to price
- Must be 18 years old with a valid driver's license to apply for membership
- Fleet features:
- 3 Ultra Low Emissions Vehicles (ULEV)
- 1 fully electric car
- NeverLost® GPS Navigation
- 24 hour/day emergency roadside assistance
- Customized UConn website featuring:
- Program and membership information