Katie’s pumped for Green Game Day!

Is everyone ready for Green Game Day this Saturday???  I certainly hope so!  So, what can you do to make the most of this year’s football Green Game Day?  Start your game experience right at home by packing only reusable and recyclable materials for your tailgating party.  When you arrive at the game keep an eye out for EcoHusky and EcoHouse volunteers who will be promoting eco-friendly behavior and collecting recyclables from fans.  If you’ve got a minute between barbecuing and swapping stories with fellow fans, take a walk over to the Fanfest area where more volunteers will be waiting to educate you about UConn’s green initiatives (there are even some fun giveaways!  Honestly, who doesn’t like free stuff?) During the game keep an eye and ear open for any messages that will let you know all of the great ways that Rentschler field is going green.

My experiences at past Green Game Days (GGDs) have always left me with a positive feeling.  At Rentschler, I’ve gotten the chance to both collect recyclables from tailgaters and work the booth, both of which I found to be rewarding experiences.  I was so encouraged by how fans were completely on board with our efforts and gladly handed over their empties for recycling.  Several fans even wanted to know more about our mission and I was happy to give them a little insight into the efforts of the OEP and our affiliated student groups.  At the booth I thought it was great educating fans of all ages and interacting with them through fun little games and just general conversation.  I have also had the opportunity to orchestrate two Basketball GGDs and I would just like all the fans to know, it takes a lot of work!  I sincerely hope that everything we do behind this scenes pays off and that you as fans feel like the green message has shown through and encourages you to be more eco-friendly in your endeavors even after you leave the game.

So gear up, get pumped, and get ready to recycle!

-Katie